Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Half Square Triangles

I think HST's are addicting!
I've had a few people ask what method I used to make mine, so here it goes--a little tutorial.
For this example I started by cutting out 6 inch squares. You can use any size you like. 

Next I take half of my squares and draw a diagonal line down the middle, on the back of your fabric.  Half of my squares are a solid and half are a print, so I only drew on the prints. 

Then I stack one of the prints on one of the solids, right sides together, and sew a 1/4 inch seam down both sides of the line I drew.  

Once you have your seam down both sides, you cut your block apart on the drawn line.

Press you seams however you prefer, and cut the little extra from your seam off. That way you don't have extra bulk in your seam when you join your HST's together.

This is my favorite way to do HST's. I do it all assembly line style and chain piece. 
You can use this block in so many ways, here are just a couple I've done recently.


3 comments:

Stephanie in Michigan said...

I think HSTs are addicting, too. I like to paper piece them. I find I can be more accurate. I am exchanging some with friends to have a nice variety for a scrappy look in a quilt I'm working on. That will be fun, too. Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Allie said...

By the time I'm done, mine would look like half square rectangles. I am no good at these. But yours look so lovely!

Gone to Earth said...

Wow - those quilts are beautiful